The Bluffton Historical Preservation Society is working with the Osher Lifelong Learning Institue (OLLI) at the USCB campus to offer a class on Bluffton’s History. The next OLLI class is to be determined.
Excerpt from OLLI Class Catalog:
The Old Town Bluffton tour begins at the Colcock-Teel House (c. 1890) at 46 Colcock St., a property owned by the Bluffton Historical Preservation Society. Following a brief presentation, the group will walk through the nationally-registered historical district of antebellum homes and churches, concluding with a guided tour of the Heyward House Historic Center at 70 Boundary Street. Comfortable walking shoes are advised. Please note that the tour involves about two miles of walking (including returning to your car), sometimes on uneven pavement. Participants must provide a $10.00 check at the time of registration made out to “BHPS.” These are two seperate, but identical, tours, offered on different dates.
Comments from past OLLI Groups:
- Greater appreciation for the rich history of the area.
- A chance to see the physical layout of Old Bluffton and to learn which houses were destroyed in the 1863 burning.
- Good history lesson.
- The excitement about the area exhibited by the presenters made me more excited to live here!
- Realizing what a special town Bluffton was and continues to be!
- Wonderful to live in the center of this “state of mind”, Bluffton!